Monday, May 28, 2018

A Memorial Day Anecdote

Image result for vietnam memorial pictures


I just want to say a very Happy and Reflective Memorial Day for us all here in America.

I want to do a little anecdote on this with my relationship with my step-father in providing part of my respect towards our military and veterans and one involving my personal story in visiting the Vietnam memorial.



My story begins with a visit to Washington D.C.

I witnessed all sorts of places in D.C. like the Smithsonian, the Arlington Cemetary, And Mount Vernon. But we also visited the memorials. (There's only one monument (Washington Monument)) But what was experienced was a very important notice.

We visited many of the war memorials as well as FDR, Lincoln, and Jefferson. But the most important for war for me would be Vietnam. My grandfather was involved in the Vietnam war and is a veteran from there so you can see the important link it has for me.


Image result for vietnam memorial DC

Seeing the names mentioned for me, reflected in the granite and having us be both reflective literally and metaphorically, is quite important. Sadly seeing the Crosses (MIA) The Circle in the Cross (There is none but it symbolizes their survival and returns to America) and lastly those Diamonds (confirmed deaths)

Personally, I don't think we had anything to gain in Vietnam but we shouldn't have pussied out to the Anti-Industrial Revolution a.k.a. The Hippies. (There are books about how Vietnam was close to not being taken over by Communism but that our lack of obligation and last moments of non-interference (thanks to the protests of Hippies and others) in the Vietnam wars final moments of being taken over by the Communist Vietnamese and the Chinese (the Communist Vietnamese had major support of them due to China's interest in being a global power if rival with the Americans and the Soviets.)

But why am I mentioning this? It's because of those 4 words we constantly say, the ones that were mentioned in the Korean War Memorial and should be for all memorials and such reminders for anyone (war or peacetime)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

It's so true. We sometimes take for granted our freedom and can be entitled to it but we can't fight for our freedoms when either foreign or domestic We must be thankful every day. Thank a vet, thank god if you believe, be thankful that we have this moment. It can be gone in an instant, but it can be won and still here.

So as we celebrate Memorial Day (I'll be doing that by working today May 28th, 2018.) I want you all to remember to be reflective again and if possible, be reflective on all days about the joy and goodness of freedom in this country.

No comments:

Post a Comment