Sunday, November 12, 2017

Happy Late Veteran's Day, and some media things to look forward too.

Sorry for not posting this yesterday. I was but things kinda got late at work last night and I didn't have time in the morning to do it. So here is some of the things I want to just blog about with.

Yesterday I made the mistake of calling out Veterans Day too early but I fixed that easily.

Now for some news stuff in general entertainment.

So we've got some movies I'm excited to see. We've got Murder on the Orient Express which came out earlier. I'm excited primarily due to my love for Agatha Christie and it was the first Hercule Poirot Novel I've ever read. However, I've never seen Sidney Lumet's adaptation of the film. There have have been 3 known famous adaptations with Lumet's 1972 adaptation, a 2001 made for TV version with Alfred Molina, and a 2010 version from the series Poirot with David Suchet solving this caper. So far we have a pretty solid cast with many great actors like Kenneth Branaugh as Poirot, Josh Gad as Hector MacQueen, Willem Dafoe as Prof. Hardman, Derek Jacobi, Dame Judi Dench, Johnny Depp, Daisy Ridley, Lamar Odom Jr., Penelope Cruz, Michelle Pfeifer, Lucy Boyton and others. And me being a good mystery fan, I do want to see it to see the actors portrays of one of my favorite Christie stories. Also, I'm wondering if there will be sequels due to Branaugh's interest especially since I've noticed since 2015 that Agatha Christie is being revitalized with Matthew Pritchard (Agatha Christie's Grandson) quite well with 2 books back in 2014 and 2016 that gave permission to author Sophie Hannah to write 2 new Poirot Mysteries (both a risk but I want to see if there is a reward due to it being easy enough to write in her style but difficult in reaching the same logical and mental conclusions of her stories.) Also there was And Then There Were None in 2015, Witness for the Prosecution in 2016 and this year will feature as a Christmas Christie tradition Ordeal By Innocence. Also, another film coming from Agatha Christie Productions is Crooked House with Gillian Anderson and Glenn Close, I've never read Crooked House but now I better put it on my list.
Links to trailers
Murder: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KJvofh4vFw
Crooked House: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=So0CVMmv8dA

Also, we have one of my new growing favorite directors, Wes Anderson, for his second venture into stop motion once again making Animation just as serious a storytelling medium as anything else. With my love for The Grand Budapest Hotel solidified and also featuring Willem Dafoe, I'm quite excited to see Isle of Dogs. It also features a very well known Cast with F Murray Abraham, Bryan Cranston, Bill Murray (He's been a longtime regular for Wes and it works so well, Look up Life Acquatic with Steve Zissou to understand) Ed Norton, and cameos and major roles played by Yoko Ono, Scarlett Johanson, Akira Takayama, Ken Wantanabe, and others. The premise is simple that Mayor of Japan Kobayashi decrees all Dogs to be abandoned on an Island and one boy decries this decree in search of his missing dog. A simple premise but Anderson's attention to detail with Symmetry, Balance, Color Pallet Coordination with this film emphasizing hued grays, blacks, and whites in contrast to the colorful presence of the dogs seems like a good choice in a symbolic take of Japan's Industrialization Post War so that's my guess on era.

Isle of Dogs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt__kig8PVU

Ok. Now for talks of The Shape of Water. I found it as an interesting retelling of The Little Mermaid/Beauty and the Beast with an aesthetic kind of similar to the world of Rapture in Bioshock, (Definitely try it out. play it at least. Oh and btw, don't listen to the Objectivists who decry how wrong the Objectivist philosophy is portrayed as. I feel its inconsequential to the overall point of how radical dogma philosophies can ruin the human experience as well as seeing an interesting take of the human condition. Besides I feel it did do something right but that'll be another time to say.) But the overall aesthetic is intersting but the plot doesn't seem to disappoint too. In a current Hollywood Market of Remake after Remake, after Sequel, after ReBoot, usually pretty unnecessary most if not all the time, This film seems pretty original. And that's a good thing and I hope many people see it to show the power that we really want is more individually good original filmmaking. They're letting TV win. But anyway, the film focuses on Eliza, a mute lady who works as a cleaner in a secret base holding a merman like creature. As she falls in love with him, she must escape the dogmatic Colonel Strickland and his want to destroy and scientifically examine him. But also the film adds on more difficulty with the fact the era is Cold War America and some rooted problems still exist with Zelda, played by Octavia Spencer, who is Zelda's friend, co-worker, and African American during this time. No doubt a struggle for her in feeling inferior at the base. I've heard this film came out to critical acclaim so I'm really pumped for this movie.

The Shape: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFYWazblaUA

And now for some honorable mentions due to my need to go to work. I apologize.

Coco: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvomHFZO0mk

The Disaster Artist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMKX2tE5Luk

My Friend Dahmer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX8ajObK81A

Tomorrow, I'll be talking a little on the video games I can't wait for. Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment